About Our Construction Materials Testing Services
Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. (Universal) has been a leader in providing Construction Materials Testing and Inspection Services in Florida and southeast United States since our inception in 1964. We strive to ensure that every project (no matter the size) has the right people, resources, and tools to perform our services to the highest standard for our clients. We are known for providing quality service on a variety of projects—from large roadway construction, parking lots and multi-story buildings to single-family residential communities. A willingness to serve our clients with on-demand, part-time, and full-time staffing demonstrates our approach in meeting the specific needs of our clients.
Clients who choose Universal for their construction testing services partner benefit from:
- Certified, qualified and well-trained technicians
- Reliable, accurate test results
- Accredited full-service laboratories
- Responsiveness: always available when you need us
- Quick results turn-around time (verbal results are normally received within 24 hours of test)
Construction Materials Testing In-House Laboratories
Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. (Universal) maintains full-service laboratory testing capabilities from each of our offices and performs testing services in the following fields of construction materials.
- Asphalt and bituminous materials
- Corrosion testing of soil and water
- Concrete and cement
- Earthwork soils material
- Masonry units compressive strength
- Non-destructive testing
Corporate & Outside Agency Quality Assurance
Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. (Universal) has a Corporate Quality Systems Group (in-house) responsible for keeping our equipment calibrated and checked for accuracy. Also, our laboratories are qualified and accredited through outside agencies such as:
- AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory Accreditation (AMRL)
- Cement/Concrete Reference Laboratory Accreditation (CCRL)
- Construction Materials Engineering Council (CMEC)
- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
Construction Materials Field Services
- Soils: By conducting on-site tests and monitoring, Universal can analyze the suitability of soils for structural fill, determine the need for moisture adjustment, and provide an overview of earthwork activities.
- Concrete: Our inspection services also include sampling concrete for air content, slump, temperature and unit weight; making cylinder samples for compressive strength testing; and observing concrete placement.
- Asphalt: Our asphaltic concrete inspection services are designed to ensure that our client’s asphalt pavement system is constructed per project specifications. Universal can provide field quality control to determine and monitor temperature, lift thickness, and compaction using core samples, as well as verification of aggregate gradation, asphalt content, bulk specific gravity, stability and flow.
Construction Materials National Testing Methods
Well-trained, experienced field and laboratory technicians perform materials testing in accordance with local, state, and national test methods such as:
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)
- Portland Cement Association (PCA)
- Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL)
More Advanced Inspection Services
- Aggregate Mine and Terminal Evaluation
- Asphalt and Concrete Coring and Evaluation
- Asphalt and Concrete Batch Plant Inspection
- Contractor Quality Control (CQC)
- Drilled Shaft
- Floor Flatness/Levelness Evaluation
- Maturity and Relative Humidity of Concrete
- Pavement Marking
- Threshold Inspection
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
Materials Testing Project Spotlight
Steel Processing Facility - This project involved building a $3.7 billion world class, state-of-the-art steel and stainless steel processing facility in Calvert, Alabama that manufactures and processes carbon steel and stainless steel for high-value applications by manufacturers throughout North America.
Materials Testing/Quality Control Services
Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. (Universal) installed a mobile concrete testing lab on site for the duration of the project for quality control testing in the field for the following QC services: casting, curing and testing of concrete cylinders; temperature and slump tests; monitoring mass concrete temperatures with concrete maturity meters; field density in building and pavement areas; floor flatness and level testing. Universal’s work was conducted by fifteen certified ACI Level 1 technicians working full time with 10 hour days, six days per week.