Building Envelope Consulting
The performance of the building envelope is critical for the structural integrity, durability and effective operation of any building. Performance failures due to uncontrolled moisture intrusion, heat or air loss can compromise a building - bringing added legal, maintenance and remedial costs and devaluating a capital investment.
The Building Envelope is the boundary between the exterior and interior environments and includes the roof, exterior walls, windows and doors, and the foundation. A properly designed and constructed Building Envelope provides improved thermal performance, moisture protection, and air leakage control.
Building Envelope Consulting is a broad field, adding value to the stakeholders during all stages of a facility life cycle, including design, construction, and renovation as well as operations and maintenance. UES can now provide condition assessments, forensic investigations, design and design review, contract administration, testing, quality assurance observation and inspections for the building envelope.
UES employs many of the industry’s most experienced and knowledgeable specialists to assist clients with their building envelope design, construction and testing needs. From pre-construction consulting, mock-up and jobsite testing, fabrication and jobsite inspection, to special inspections, UES’s proven professionals are known for their ability to recognize and troubleshoot problematic window assemblies, roofing and waterproofing design issues before they substantially impact budgets and schedules. UES also offers post-construction assessment and forensic evaluation together with consulting services for those problematic issues that surface after installation of the envelope component.
- Develop concept & preliminary design
- Review of design intent, shop drawings & specifications
- Ensure code compliance
- Review glass & glazing building maintenance schedule
- Review wind tunnel testing & analysis of results
- Develop preliminary roofing & waterproofing design
- Prepare performance specifications & details
- Analyze alternate cladding, roofing & waterproofing systems
- Review of bid & contract documents
- Assist with bid analysis & subcontractor selection
- Confirm design of building conforms to code
- Critique subcontractor shop drawings & submittal
Assessment And Remedial Consulting
- Perform due diligence/pre-purchase inspections & provide detailed reporting
- Investigate water intrusion issues & propose remedial alternatives
- Assess window system, roofing & waterproofing system failures & develop remedial plans
- Evaluate conditions & failures of exterior wall cladding systems
- Provide concept & design development detailing for window replacement & building re-cladding
- Prepare specifications & provide inspection services for remedial repair or replacement work
- Provide expert witness consultant services including testimony