Florida Milestone Inspections Engineering Experts
On May 26, 2022, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill SB 4-D: Building Safety. This statute states that all condominium or cooperative buildings that are 25 or 30 years of age, with three or more floors in height must conduct structural integrity assessments known as Milestone Inspections. All Phase One Milestone Inspections must be filed with the local building departments by the end of 2024.
A “Milestone Inspection” is the structural inspection of a building performed by a licensed architect or engineer. The purpose of a Milestone Inspection is to ensure a building’s safety through an assessment of its structural components and general structural condition.
Contact us to schedule your condo inspection
Universal Engineering Sciences is here for your Milestone Inspection needs
UES has been in business for nearly 60 years and has 18 offices throughout Florida. We pride ourselves on a state-wide network of talented and experienced licensed professional engineers with superior technical expertise and exceptional client service.
UES has provided high-quality innovative and cost-effective Engineering Testing and Inspections across the state of Florida for decades.
Our Florida Milestone Inspections team credentials include:
- State of Florida Licensed Professional Engineers
- State of Florida Licensed Special Inspectors – Threshold Inspectors
- State of Florida Licensed Architects
Working with UES on your Milestone Inspections will give you peace of mind and other benefits, including
- Seamless Process. Our team of licensed engineers will work directly with you every step of the way, allocating the necessary resources to finish the job as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Extra Quality Control. You will gain additional levels of oversight through our licensed professionals.
- Expedited deliverables. Our typical inspection and reporting process will take less than 30 business days from authorization, ensuring your timelines are met.
- Full Compliance. All inspections are conducted in compliance with Florida Statute 553.899.
UES has an expert Milestone Inspection engineering team near you
As one of the largest engineering firms in the country, we have eighteen (18) offices throughout the state of Florida alone, so whether you’re in Pensacola, Orlando, Miami, or anywhere in between, we have a team of licensed engineers and architects close at hand.
Your Milestone Inspection will be done by one of our top engineers
Unlike with other engineering firms, your Milestone Inspection will be performed from start to finish by a top senior-level UES engineer with decades of experience. We are committed to achieving rapid turnarounds (less than 30 days) on inspections. That means you will experience significant savings, allowing you to meet all state compliance deadlines.
The UES Milestone Inspection Process
A Milestone Inspection consists of two phases:
PHASE 1: One of our licensed UES Senior-level Engineers or Architects will perform a visual examination of all common habitable and non-habitable areas of your building to detect any signs of structural deterioration. We will also use drone technology (as needed) to inspect your structures and building faces that are typically not accessible.
Once completed, we will provide a signed and sealed copy of the inspection report, a summary of the material findings and recommendations, and supporting materials to the Condominium or Cooperative HOA and the local building official. If no substantial deterioration* is found, Phase 2 will not be required.
PHASE 2: If substantial structural deterioration* is detected during PHASE 1, a second phase of testing is required to determine whether the building is structurally sound. This inspection may be as extensive or as limited as necessary to fully assess areas of structural distress and confirm that the building is structurally sound and safe for use.
Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS)
In addition to Milestone Inspections, we also offer Structural Integrity Reserve Studies (SIRS). A SIR examines the reserve funds required for future major repairs and/or replacement of the common area structural components based on visual examination.
A HOA must have a structural integrity reserve study completed at least every 10 years after the condominium’s creation for each building on the condominium property that is three stories or higher in height which includes, at a minimum, a study of the following items as related to the structural integrity and safety of the building:
- Load-bearing walls or other primary structural members
- Fireproofing and fire protection systems
- Electrical systems
- Waterproofing and exterior painting
- Any other item that has a deferred maintenance expense or replacement cost that exceeds $10,000 and the failure to replace or maintain such item negatively affects the items listed in sub-subparagraphs a.-i., as determined by the licensed engineer or architect performing the visual inspection portion of the structural integrity reserve study.
Client references provided upon request.
Questions/FAQs about Milestone Inspections in Florida
Contact us to schedule your condo inspection
✶ Substantial structural deterioration” means substantial structural distress that negatively affects a building’s general structural condition and integrity. The term does not include surface imperfections such as cracks, distortion, sagging, deflections, misalignment, signs of leakage, or peeling of finishes unless the licensed engineer or architect performing the phase one or phase two inspection determines that such surface imperfections are a sign of substantial structural deterioration.