Occupational Health & Safety
Health and safety hazards cover a wide range of chemical, physical, biological and ergonomic stressors. Industrial hygienists are dedicated to anticipating, recognizing, evaluating and controlling those hazards in any environment. Universal’s Certified Industrial Hygienists are dedicated to the well-being of people in at work, at home and in the community. Our services include:
- OSHA Compliance Monitoring
- Chemical, Physical and Biological Exposure Assessments
- Air Quality Testing for Dust, Fumes and Gas Contaminants
- Hazardous Materials Evaluations
- Safety Data Sheet Review
- Health Risk Analysis and Hazard Communication
- Worksite Analysis with Engineering, Work Practice and Administrative Control
- Building Contamination Assessment and Remediation
- Personnel Protective Equipment Review and Recommendations
- Water Quality Testing
- Catastrophe Response Activities
Indoor Air Quality Assessments
Mold, allergens, and other airborne contaminants cause lost productivity of employees and potential liability under workman’s compensation regulations. UES carries out inspections, testing, and long-term monitoring to provide organizations with appropriate recommendations and solutions to mitigate these issues. We provide these professional services for many built environments including industrial, commercial, education, and critical environments like hospitals and other health care facilities. UES is a trusted partner to assist you in maintaining optimal indoor environmental quality and employee safety and comfort within any working environment. Our services include:
- Indoor Air Quality Testing
- Odor Investigations
- Conformance with ASRAE Standards
- Allergen Scans
- Total Organic Compound Scans
- Air Quality Testing for LEED and Building Commission
- Legionella Sampling
- Sewage Contamination Investigation
- HVAC Diagnostics and Air Distribution Measurements
- Vapor Intrusion Investigations
Mold Testing and Water Intrusion Services
Water intrusion is one of the main contributing factors to building damage, structural damage, rot, and microbial growth that may lead to “Building Related Illness”. The UES staff of Certified Industrial Hygienists, Licensed Mold Assessors and scientists are experienced in recognizing and understanding the issues involved in moisture intrusion and mold contamination, and can develop sound, cost effective solutions to mitigate moisture intrusion issues. Our Services include:
- Contaminant Assessments
- Air Testing for Bioaerosol Burden to Genus Level
- Culturable Fungal Testing for Species Identification
- Surface Contamination Testing
- Wall Cavity Inspections
- Moisture Mapping
- Infrared Thermography
- Blower Door Testing
- Calcium Chloride Testing for Concrete Moisture Content
- Remediation Protocol Design/Project Management
- Post-Remediation Verification Testing
Radon Testing Services
Radon is a radioactive gas that has been found in homes and buildings across the United States. It comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air you breathe. Radon typical moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other pathways in the building foundation. UES' licensed radon measurement specialists can provide radon screening testing which meets the United States Environmental Protection Agency approved testing protocols for assessing radon gas. Our services include:
- Short-term Radon Screening by Activated Charcoal Adsorption
- Long-term Radon Screening by Alpha Track Detectors
- Radon Testing for Drinking Water
- Radon Mitigation Assistance
- Post Mitigation Testing
OSHA Compliance and Safety Services
UES' team of Certified Industrial Hygienists and Certified Safety Professionals provide comprehensive health and safety services to assist our clients by increasing awareness, decreasing accident and injury rates, increasing productivity, and training and educating employees. In addition, UES can provide qualified health and safety staff augmentation for short-term and long-term projects. These experienced worksite health and safety professionals work onsite in client locations to support client health and safety teams and programs. Our services include:
- OSHA Compliance Audits
- Health and Safety GAP Assessments
- Regulatory Compliance with COVID-19
- Hazardous Material Awareness Training
- OSHA-Required Written Program Development
- Health and Safety Plan Development and Review
- Onsite Health Support
- Onsite Safety Support
- Outsourcing and Staff Augmentation
Developed by our in-house occupational health and safety professionals, our courses deliver the latest, most comprehensive and accurate information. Universal can provide training on many environmental health and safety subjects, some of which include:
- Bloodborne Pathogen Prevention
- Respiratory Protection Program and Fit Testing
- Hearing Conservation Program
- Infectious Disease Control
- Lead Exposure Prevention
- Silica Control Plan
- Asbestos Awareness
- Mold Awareness and Training
- Hazard Communication
- Forklift Safety
- OSHA 10/30 Hour Certification
- HAZWOPER 40 Hour Certification
Professionals and Certifications
- Professional Geologists (by State)
- Professional Engineers (by State)
- Board Certified Industries Hygienists
- Council-certified Indoor Environmental Consultants (CIEC)
- Council-certified Microbial Consultants (CMC)
- Certified Safety Professionals (CSP)
- Certified Healthcare Safety Professionals (CHSP)
- Certified Hazardous Material Managers
- Stormwater Pollution Control Managers
- USEPA and CDPH Lead-Based Paint Risk Inspectors and Assessors
- Florida Licensed Mold Assessors
- Florida Licensed Asbestos Consultants
- Nevada Certified Environmental Managers
- State of Nevada Asbestos Abatement Consultants
- Cal/OSHA Asbestos Consultants
- AHERA Certified Building Inspectors, Management Planner, Project Designer, Supervisor and Contractors
As environmental health and safety consultants, our in-house Certified Industrial Hygienists (CIH) and Certified Safety Professionals (CSP) have developed COVID-19 services and training programs with the latest, most comprehensive information available based on relevant OSHA standards and CDC guidelines. These programs be available both in-person and online for clients to ensure proper training and compliance with OSHA procedures and CDC guidelines.
Universal can develop a comprehensive OSHA-based, site-specific COVID-19 Response Plan for your organization, based on the needs of your client’s operations and will ensure the safety of their employees and visitors. Services include:
- Planning: The development of a detailed, company-wide Infectious Disease Control Plan and updated business continuity plan (BCP) to address the unique challenges posed by COVID-19.
- Command & Control: We can train your own COVID-19 Job Site Coordinator or provide a COVID-19 Coordinator for you.
- Communication: We can provide extensive communications to all your team members in line with OSHA, the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance regarding minimizing the risk of infection, practicing effective hygiene measures, and avoiding heightened risk situations, among other important COVID-19 operational protocols.
- Working Together: We can help you create appropriate travel restrictions and social distancing protocols.
- Cleaning it Right: We can provide site-specific instructions and protocols on how to clean and disinfect your facility, as well as product selection.
- Tool Management: We can instruct on the proper cleaning of tools to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Disease Control: We can train and create protocols addressing Bloodborne Pathogens in your workplace.
- Risk Management: We will identify high traffic areas and touch points.
- Protecting the Lungs: Appropriate respirator selection and proper use.
- Respirator Fit Testing: Training and fit testing to ensure protection.
- Disease Protocols: We can help you determine appropriate infectious disease control standards and help you design your protocols and provide necessary training using easy to use checklists to assist in documentation.
- Regulatory Compliance: We can train and equip you with special OSHA reporting guidance required under COVID-19 situations.
- Safety with Chemicals: We can provide your employees with Hazardous Material Awareness Training. We will help you identify the Safety Data Sheets your employees will need to have at their fingertips when handling chemicals. We train on chemicals show them how to use the Safety Data Sheets.
- Site Specific: We can help with specific site needs such as:
- Working in commercial buildings
- Understanding and finding touchpoints
- Working on construction sites
- Working in daycare settings
- Working in healthcare environments
- OSHA-Required Written Program Development
- Hazard Communication
- Respiratory Protection
- Personal Protection Equipment
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Infectious Disease Exposure Plans
COVID-19 Competent Person Training
UES now offers an on-site COVID-19 Competent Person training for your organization’s designated COVID-19 On-site Competent Person. This program involves a four-hour recorded webinar to assist owners and contractors who need to provide a COVID-19 competent person. Participants in this program will be required to pass a quiz and will receive a certificate of completion. This certificate will allow your organization to show training for a COVID-19 Competent Person.
Customized training is available for larger classes or those who wish to have a private on-line live class customized to their company needs. Multiple competent persons are advised.
Surface Testing Options
We now offer post-cleaning/disinfecting surface sampling for our clients. These tests can be used to help determine whether your own or your contractor's cleaning and disinfecting practices are effective.
We work with our laboratory partners to offer several methods to our clients for surface testing at schools, restaurants, medical facilities, senior living, airports, and anywhere that post-cleaning surface testing is of critical importance.
Although not specific to the SARS-COV-2 virus, is a long-time established industry testing method involving a tool to measure ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which is an enzyme present in all organic matter, living and once-living, including blood, saliva and bacteria. ATP surface testing measures the residual organic matter that may remain after a surface, device or piece of equipment is cleaned. Immediate cleanness results will be displayed as either “passing” or “failing.”
SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Surface Sampling
Molecular diagnostic swab test that detects the genetic signature (RNA) of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in swab samples from surfaces using clinical instrumentation. These tests quantify the viral RNA using real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Positive results indicate the presence of the viral genetic material SARS-CoV-2 nucleic material but does not rule out the presence of other viral and bacterial contamination. The results are reported as detected or non-detected per sample provided. Turn-around time is 24 hours to four days.
OSHA Compliance Audits/ Gap Assessments/ Program Support/ Monitoring
We recognize OSHA requirements can be complicated, and not all companies can afford to staff a full-time Safety Officer. Universal’s customized on-site support, program development, and training were created to help you take control over your compliance requirements, and include:
- OSHA Compliance Audits/Gap Assessments
- OSHA Program Support/Outsourcing
- OSHA Monitoring
UES performs Gap Assessments of existing compliance with applicable regulations, allowing us to prioritize the issues and create a customized plan towards compliance.